Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Public Holiday 1 mai and I really didn't see this coming

A night with no rain, creepily quiet.
The fridge seems to have got over its hissy fit yesterday.
I should have done a few jobs in the garden but wasn't in the mood.  I just got ready for Joris and Patricia to arrive as they had agreed to accompany me to the festivities in the village.
A repas dansant starting at 12.30pm.  I had warned Patricia that we had to se munir de son couvert ie bring your own stuff but when I checked with her it seemed that she thought that meant to bring your own cutlery but previous experience led me to believe that it meant cutlery, plates, glasses, napkins etc. so we packed everything just in case and headed off.  We arrived around 12.40 to find the outside deserted, everyone seated at their tables and ready to go.  Just 3 sad little empty places remained, each marked by a sad little plastic cup. There was a frosty atmosphere and our smiles were ignored, although our money was accepted!!  Luckily we had all the stuff and settled ourselves down.  The overall atmosphere was not welcoming at all. We had some nice neighbours although the man to my right seemed to have some sort of speech impediment.

Joris and I were the only non French people as far as I could tell and people commented on the fact that Patricia is of Parisienne origin.  She was definitely the youngest there, followed by Joris and then possibly by me.

Patricia and Joris watching the dancing


Most of the men had emulated Jackie Charlton, or is it Bobby?, or didn't have enough hair to worry about.  The Paso Doble was the dance de jour, along with something called the Madison, which all the ladies did in a line.  They were adorned in a range of knitted tops, hair pieces and false teeth and each serveuse was a dead ringer for Mrs Overall.  If the cultural reference of that escapes you, then sorry!  Suffice to say that I got hit on the head a couple of times by a shaky serving tray.

The band, the dancing girls and our table
Well the food and drink came fast and furious, toasts, omelette a l'aillet [omelette and garlic stems in equal measures], pork with orange, salade, cheese and copious red wine.  After the cheese course, we decided the heat of the room, the enticing sunshine outside and the dreadful music meant that we should beat a strategic retreat.  We went without dessert and coffee.

A singularly depressing experience. 

Now for the bit I really didn't see coming.
After settling myself back in the caravan and sitting down to write my blog, I was astonished to see a number of circus vehicles go up the road and turn into the Poney Club.  An animal vehicle, a dismantled big top and several other lorries and caravans.  I like being amongst people and enjoy having people around, but a circus...........      No circus has been advertised so I don't understand what's going on.  I bet it's not good news though.  The next field is full of wild animals and gypsies.


2 comments:

  1. A circus? Funny you should mention that... my status on Facebook yesterday was about circuses and what jobs would you pick... it might be fun Annie... although the noise and traffic and all might not be... maybe you can get a few of them to help you on the house for a few extra Franks... or Euros now.... hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SUCH an optimist!! I can't even begin to see the bright side at the moment!!!!
      Lots of love
      A

      Delete