Thursday, May 10, 2012

Very Little Progress

Monday was just like a Sunday.  French people were all preparing for Tuesday's Bank Holiday [ie taking the day off].  I went all the way to Bergerac to get the sump cover put back on the car properly but the garage is taking un pont, ie the day between one day off and another becomes a 'bridge'.  Everyone's talking about Francois Hollande's victory and what it means for the Euro. Views ranged from the Euro falling to 1.30 to the £ to the total and utter collapse of the currency.  We'll see. I had a bonfire, just a small one because I'm fed up with them by now.  The old chap came to cut the grass which was knee-high.  The weather was quite warm but clouded over later.  I didn't really do much because I was 'thinking' about the landscaping.  Not a very productive day.  Good news though - the circus packed up the Big Top. Hooray!

Tuesday was wet, grey, gloomy.  Very quiet.  The second of 4, yes, 4, bank holidays in the month of May.  Some shops were open but not many.  There was a service at the war memorial as it's Victory in Europe Day.  [Most towns and villages have a street called 8 mai 1945].  The circus still hadn't moved on, although everything was packed away.  I fell asleep in the afternoon - obviously not used to all this physical work - which means that I missed the sunny part of the day.

Wednesday started gloomy and wet, for a change.  After a trip to the garage and the bank I returned home to find the weather was lovely and the circus were starting to move off.  It took them all day to leave the Poney Club and it involved a lot of tractors and noise because the large vehicles were bogged down - but at least they've gone.  The temperature got up to 28 in the afternoon so I tidied up some more of the garden and got really overheated.  The lesson of the day was 'If you throw stuff into a wheelbarrow inaccurately the entire thing will tip over and you'll have to start all over again'.  I wish I'd played more netball at school!

Thursday dawned bright and sunny and bought a bill from the digger man.  Deep breath and write cheque!  Waited until 3pm for anyone to turn up. Ian came for a couple of hours and did some useful work but nothing from Darren until 6.30 when he phoned to say that he had been at the hospital with his daughter all day and had to take her to Toulouse tomorrow and Saturday for tests.  Result = no micro station for me this week!  Some sad news from Polly.  Chris has been in Malawi all week having a good time- well, working really - but I can't Skype him, so I've got to make a decision about when Darren does the work [either when I'm there or when I return from UK].

Weather was in the 30s with the same forecast for tomorrow. From the ridiculous to the sublime!  Can't wait to get back to England and have a long, luxurious bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment